Thursday, May 26, 2011

My letter to Lupus

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them”  George Bernard Shaw


I was talking to my friend, Caren last night.  Caren and I went to college together and she was my bridesmaid 20 years ago.  I was married when I was 15 years old..just kidding.  This made me remember how I used to write in my journals as a kid.  It’s how my mother knew what I was up to and I ended up in therapy.  I had a tendency to write some crazy stuff.  Here’s a word for parents:  Don’t read your kid’s journals.  It’s an invasion of privacy and trust. Ironically, I’m still writing journals but do it publicly for the world to read.  Anyway, the therapist used to have me write letters to the people who I couldn’t confront personally.  I thought I would give it a try as if Lupus was a person.  Below is my letter to Lupus: 

Dear Mr. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus,

On February 8, 2011, you showed up at my door and made yourself at home.  You are an unwanted guest and the word “guest” is being polite.  You have made my life miserable and the people around me have been affected by your actions. 

You have made me strong. Strong enough to kick you out of my life. The only advantage of knowing you is I have made a few new friends and strengthened my old friendships and for this, I will be forever grateful.  However, you have caused me great pain, and I want my old life back.  You have caused me to take too many costly drugs, and so much of my time wasted in waiting rooms for doctors to see me for only 5 minutes.  The only doctors I went to before I met you were the dentist and my yearly "perfect" physical from my family doctor.


Mr. Erythematosus you are no longer welcome.  Go back to where you came from.  Don’t bother me, any of my family, friends, or my extended family.   

Sincerely,

Debra J. Edelson

No comments:

Post a Comment