Thursday, March 21, 2013

I felt the love.


Just a thought in my head at this moment:  It's not always about you.  Sometimes, you need to open your heart, listen and ask the questions people are normally afraid of asking. I went for a jog on the treadmill at the health club which ended up being a walk.  I know plenty of people at the club since I've been an employee for almost 7 years, I often talk to the members.  I've learned a lot about their lives.
Yesterday, I noticed "Jack," on the spin bike.  I know his tough story and it is truly heart breaking.  I stopped to see how he was doing, and he was happy that his diabetic damaged foot is finally healing. Its taken months and lots of surgeries.  I asked about his wife and how she was feeling these days.  He was so excited to make a Rolling Stone birthday cake for her birthday on April 1st.  She will be 57 this year, and has dementia.  She was diagnosed a few years ago with early onset dementia and the disease has rapidly progressed.  I told him I was impressed of his strength and this is when he opened up. I just listened and kept asking the questions he wanted me to ask.  They have "baby" proofed the house, she has an obsession with trash, and also has an oral fixation.  She doesn't remember any of her friends but she still is able to go to the gym classes she loved so much but she doesn't follow the instructions but it gives him a chance to be alone.  She occupies her time with children's coloring books and is attached at the hip to Jack when she is not coloring.  She needs to mimic everything he does during the day so he needs to hide his medications and his diabetic needles. He told me he goes through all the emotions and misses his wife terribly. I told him I still believe that he is a strong man and she is very lucky to have him who loves her so much.   I did not say I would pray for him or his family.

Having an autoimmune disease, it has taught me not to be afraid of asking questions.  It has taught me to listen.   Why are people so afraid?  I guess they don't want to get involved.  I wonder why?

No comments:

Post a Comment